Monday, November 30, 2009

YUMMY!!!

I needed to pop in here and post something..... my life is pretty boring right now and I am in brain-fog land.
So I will post something yummy!

> This is really good eating for a cold winter day!
>
> 1 1/2 Tbl butter
> 1/2 onion
> 2 cloves of garlic
> 2 springs of fresh thyme
> 1/2 butternut squash, peeled, seed and cut into 1 inch cubes
> 4 cups of chick broth
> 1/2 cube of chicken bouillon
> 1 pinch of cumin
> 1 pinch of ground all spice
> salt and pepper to taste
>
> Melt butter in a large pot over med. heat; cook onion, garlic and thyme in the hot butter until onion has soften, about 5 minutes. Add the squash and chicken broth, bring to a simmer and cook until the squash is tender, 10 - 15 minutes . Crumble the bouillion into the soup and season with cumin, allspice, salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
> Pour the soup into a blender, no more than halfway in the pitcher. Puree the soup, do small batches or the blender will not puree. Use quick short pulses to get the soup to start pureeing. Pour into bowls and serve.
>
> Now to cut the time cooking, I precooked my squash in the oven until it was tender. Scoop it out of the skin and then puree it. I added some of the chicken broth to the blender to start the process. Then mix everything together, let simmer for 10 - 15 minutes to mix all the flavors. Serve in bowls with crackers or crusty french bread. This recipe will make 4 servings.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds really yummy and I think I will try it. Butternut Squash is one of my favorites and a new way to eat it sounds perfect,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOOOOOVE soup, I will have to give this one a try :) Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very much like the soup I make but instead of cumin I add curry and some macerated coconut. Makes a completely different taste sensation, but only if you like curry. Its great with some fresh baked bread. yummmmmmm

    ReplyDelete