Thursday, October 29, 2009

It's almost time!

Hello all ya Halloweenies!
It's almost time...that magickal time of the year! Halloween or Samhain!
Decorating is coming along more and more each day! Soon all the ghost, ghouls, monsters will come and enjoy the evening....then it will all be over...heavy sigh. I need to put out more cobwebs...more and more and more!

Halloween was orginally a pagan holiday, taken over by the church to celebrate All Saints Day (or All Hallows Day). Halloween a day when kids mooch candy from neighbors, the stores are full of goofy masks and fake cobwebs and the Great Pumpkin rises from the pumpkin patch. It's all very simple and innocent.

SOme schools and churches are replacing the word "Halloween" with "Fall Festival" because of negative connotations some see in the long-standing holiday name.

No! No. do not change the name I say!

Samhain Today
Today Pagans see Samhain as a time to honor the dead, not as the dead, but as the living spirits of loved ones and as guardians who hold the wisdom of mankind. It is a celebration of the afterlife where we do not die but rest and continue to learn and prepare for our next incarnation

2 comments:

  1. Your right - some people read to much into whats not there!!! Enjoy and have good family fun - relax (as Frankie says!!!).
    Have a Safe and fun Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy all holidays, but used to get into Halloween more when my daughter was little...watching the kids pick their custome and helping them make it was a big deal for me, but now it's just me and the animals, but I do look forward to seeing the little ones waddle up to my door singing: "Twick o Tweeeeeet" and I will be taking photos this year...

    Happy Halloween!
    Doris

    ReplyDelete